Sunday, March 21, 2010

2010: Day 78 My Character Took Off Without Me

So what happens when the main character uncovers the truth seven chapters too soon?

Thus far the edits were going so well that I really thought I’d have the manuscript done this weekend. Evidently Rhonie Lude had other thoughts. But the way she thinks through the evidence makes perfect sense (if this MS ever goes to print, I’m referring to chapter 40). What this means, however, is that I'm going to have to rethink the last six chapters.

Okay, so this is not entirely a bad thing. After all, we all know early drafts are a smorgasbord of ideas (some better than others) that are waiting their turn on the chopping block.

In chapter 40, she has discovered that the one person she has trusted from the beginning was keeping important information from her about the case. The only logical next step is for her to confront him. The question is, how much rewriting will this minor change require? I’ll let you know after a bit of reading.

2 comments:

Kiki Hamilton said...

Hi Marta,

I just happened upon your blog and I just happen to also be a writer. I laughed out loud when I read 'what do you do when your MC discovers the truth seven chapters too soon?' - ha! I hate it when that happens!

I say go back and look at your supporting cast and see if there is a subplot you can weave in that might delay the brilliance of your MC.

Good luck!

Marta Stephens said...

Hey Niki, nice of you to stop by. LOL Yes, since I posted this, I've done quite a bit more work on the MS and think I've solved the problem.

This reminds me that I really should post an update. :)