Saturday, March 03, 2012

Round Two of Chemo

I went in for my second round of Chemo yesterday afternoon. It took another five hours. Thanks to my good friend Gayla B., from work who "sacrificed" a half day of vacation to have lunch with me then keep me company, the time flew.  Just for the record, we solved the problems of the world, the treatment went well, and I'm doing fine this morning.

While waiting to go in for my treatment yesterday, I ran into a friend of over 30 years, who was waiting for some paper work for her husband who had been diagnosed with a very aggressive cancer this past June. Sadly, while I was writing this post, I received a text from her that he passed away early this morning.  We're very saddened by his passing. Pete was a wonderful husband, father, coach, and friend.

When I was in the hospital the week of February 13, I was basically treated for my cold. Granted, once you are taking Chemo the rules change. Infection of any type is very dangerous and taken seriously, but the point is, as I walked down the halls some patients were waiting for Hospice while other families were gathered around the clock by their loved one's bedside. I truly felt that I was taking up a bed that someone else needed more.

Every time I go to the Cancer Center, I see new faces--some young, some old. Each has his or her own story to tell that we'll never know about. Some may be an open book like me, but too many others refuse to talk about their condition which makes it difficult for friends and family to help them get through the tough times.

For this reason, I'm truly touched and humbled by the many warm comments I received on my post of February 27. In truth, however, my cancer is nothing more than a bump in the road compared to what thousands of other people have gone through or are going through now.

I'm not courageous or a hero. I'm simple one woman sharing her story in the hopes that through my strength others will find theirs.

Our prayers are with the Cook family.

10 comments:

Terry W. Ervin II said...

That's what good friends are for, sharing time and support. You're right, everyone has a story--from the first person POV--even though they don't always share it.

Hang in there!

pat said...

Marta, I am so happy that your second round of chemo has seemed to have gone a bit smoother than the first. I don't think I have ever known a cancer patient who hasn't come through the journey with some greater understanding of what life is really about-how we shouldn't complain about stupid things because when big things happen you realize how small those other things are

Marta Stephens said...

Terry, I was so touched that Gayla offered to go with me. Five hours is a long time out one's day to give up. She's a gem. Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by!

Mollie Lyons said...

I am so glad that you have such a wonderful friend as Gayla. What a comfort her physical presence must have been yesterday. Bless you both

Marta Stephens said...

Pat, my husband Rick and I came to that realization when we lost our eldest daughter, Nicole, at the age of 19 months in 1985. She was born with a congenital heart defect and did well until it was time for her second surgery at Riley Children’s Hospital in Indianapolis . She passed two days prior to it.

At the time, there were no children with her condition/operation older than 7 years old so there was no way of knowing the quality of life she would have other than the fact that she would need to continue to have operations throughout her years of growth.

Our life totally changed after her passing. The "stupid" life stuff didn't matter anymore. That's when I knew no future loss or challenge would ever be more painful than the lost of our precious, beautiful child.

In my heart I know that experience has everything to do with why I take most things in stride to this day. Not to make light of it, but some things are life changing. We either accept and deal with them or let them run our lives. I've feel that I’ve grown spiritually and emotionally with each one and for that I’m very grateful.

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!

Marta Stephens said...

Hi Mollie!!

Yes, I was very touched that she would that. Suggested our children needed a break and wanted to do something to help. Oh, but we had a wonderful afternoon.

PS: Started reading your new novel, "A Contrary Wind." Your writing is so wonderful! Plan to spend the weekend with it and a cup of tea!

J D Webb said...

True friends are the means by which we play tag with the sane part of the world. I'm glad you have some in your life who will take time to be friends.
It took me a long time to realize that we have no substitue for friends, and we should let them know how we feel.
A triumph about the second chemo treatment. Made my evening when I read it.
Keep us clued in (pun intended) and we'll keep shooting up the prayers.

Marta Stephens said...

There have been many benefits to working in an academic environment. One of them has been the friendships I've made over the years. People are truly wonderful, especially when these things happen. I feel very blessed and grateful for all the friends I have here around me as well as my many cyber friends like you and others who have posted on this blog. We may never meet, but still, something is forged by sharing.

It's 7:20 AM here and I'm still feeling good. :)

Claudia Show said...

Funny you said "bump in the road" as I have used that to describe my lymphoma diagnosis also! After losing Nikki, I've often referred to you & Rick as one of the strongest couples that I've ever met. God Bless You Both!!

Claudia

Marta Stephens said...

Hi Claudia! You've been there done that too. Thanks so much for stopping by!!